One month and a Christmas home.

posted on: Monday, December 8, 2014


Today is our one month anniversary, WHEW - we made it! Everything we've accomplished in 30 days is bowling me over. Home for two weeks before the wedding, Texas for the wedding, Mexico for our honeymoon, then back home to Pennsylvania. In fact, we just got our wedding pictures in! Expect that to be a post soon, especially to highlight the sustainability elements I worked my butt off for a year to make happen. Yes. I will be sharing that. 

And now we've decorated our home for the holidays. Every time Cody walks into the living room he says our sweet little newlywed tree gives him warm fuzzies <3 I couldn't agree more.

I've dreamed of styling my own cozy holiday space for as long as I can remember, so this is one dream come true. Did I spend too much time working on it? Maybe, but it was just what I needed. It's also a project done within a newlywed budget, which I shall explain as we take a little tour...



 Behold! The warm fuzzy tree!  It's a Blue Spruce. I was being cheap and at $5 a foot we thought we were getting a deal at the tree farm, but this thing's needles are SHARP AS HECK. Maybe one day we will get a baby-soft fir, at $6 a foot...Maybe one day we will not be renting, and can get a live tree to plant in our yard and dig up every December! #sustainability #xmastree #ouchmyback

Picking her out! 

 ...and carrying her away. I know. We killed a tree.
now, the ornaments! We nearly had to wear gloves while decorating due to Miss Blue Spruce's pokey nature, that's why the lights aren't poked far enough into the tree - I just gave up. You get the idea.
Anyway, whilst trooping around Michael's looking for deals, I noticed a box of ribbon candy. This
stuff is GORGEOUS hung on a tree, especially when lit. 

There are several plain wooden ornaments too. I loved the natural color in addition to the intricate carvings. At $1 each, they were perfect for us. The triangles are made from baker's twine and straws from the dollar bin. 



 Magnolia ornament to remind me of my roots, a Christmas gift from my sweet cousin.

Our holiday mantle. Perhaps my favorite part of the house right now. The pine garland is one I made from a fallen branch I picked up during a walk in our neighborhood graveyard (it's peaceful, ok?) The fir branches in the milk bottle were free at Lowe's, the carol in the frame was a free printable from Pinterest, the felt stockings are West Elm beauts from our registry, and the owl pot is a masterpiece from college art class ;) The beautiful LOVE  bunting was made by my best friend for the rehearsal dinner, and now will ever-be my Christmas message.

 
And here is the full effect! We are never this organized. Note Cody's PhD books piled under the coffee table.
 We are so excited, we made buttercream dipped sugar cookies. Recipe here.
 Using those same blue spruce needles for a banister garland. I did wear gloves this time, and it was worth it.
 Our tiny sort-of-nativity. These little olive wood figures were a gift from my parents when they visited Jerusalem years ago. They are the ultimate reminder in our house of what this season is about.

I MADE THIS. so very proud as you can tell. 


And just for fun, Cody working. I'm working too, across from him, but thought the effect of the small pine bouquet and his serious brow were charming.

Happy decorating world. Peace, Joy and holiday of blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meant Green All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger