Creating an Office Space

posted on: Monday, October 12, 2015

 A good workspace is important. I actually do some work at a creative startup in a co-working space in Pittsburgh, so I can appreciate how key this idea is for freelancers and groups who need a place to gather but don't want the old school office vibe. This post was inspired by WeWork to share how I work at home, and get my space to work for me. WeWork is a chain of shared office spaces across the USA for folks who prefer to have a spot to call their office if they'd rather not stay home.

Completely randomly, I also did a home-office mock-up for Chairish a few weeks ago so you get to see two offices here! My dream space, and my real space.

I'm a super-nester and always have been. My favorite game as a little girl was pretending to make my own home in the bushes behind our home. I made salad out of fern fronds (I didn't eat it of course) and slept on a leaf bed - the whole nine yards. I guess that was my first "office."

Now that we're in our own rental place - however temporary, my "use-what-we-have" interior design methods have exploded. Our wee home office is no exception.

This is my creative haven. I actually do sit and work here whether it's on bills, editing pics, this blog or my actual office work. I'm blessed to spend two afternoons a week at home working, and I adore it. I've heard friends and co-workers say they have a hard time focusing when they try to work at home, but this is where I keep what inspires me to do my best. My books and resources are here, and the fridge is a few short glorious steps away...




The jewel in my office crown is the filing cabinet believe it or not. I found this sucker in the basement, a battered and scarred piece from a bygone era. But it was solid, all it needed was paint. I used a low-gloss spray paint in a dimpled black, with a simpler dimpled-copper spray paint for the drawers. It makes me excited to use (and actually file things), so that's a win!



Need bookends? Hunt down some rocks - they're super easy to catch.
Shell from Kenya, sent via a darling friend on my birthday last month.

The other jewel, my big blue baby. The framed wall pieces are from an old calendar! Such a cheap way to reuse something you loved that isn't useful otherwise. The middle art piece was $2 at a flea market.
Willa!

I try to keep my desk as open as I can. The shelf overhead holds photographic pieces that remind me of where we've been - Texas, our wedding, etc. There are also just bits of that I want to save, feathers, shells, etc.

On the other side is my darling blue couch. This is the first major furniture purchase I'd ever made when we moved to Pittsburgh. It's a vintage piece from Craigslist, and is in amazing shape. The cork hexagons are from Target and I pin up bits that I either need to remember, or just love. A smattering of  postcards from globe trotting bestie, moon phases, craft ideas, and a realllllly old note from Cody when we had just started dating grace this wall.

It's a good space, and good things happen here.


the things//

Desk - World Market
Lamp - Thrifted
Couch-Vintage
File cabinet - Found
Chair - Home Goods


2 comments:

  1. So much to love in this setup. Those hexagonal cork boards look so cool and really go well with the rest of the decor. That chair is a big plus, looks both functional and has a great form. I love the idea to use rocks as bookends, we've got some terrific looking ones in our backyard. What a great post.

    Derrick George @ ZZONE 31

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love shopping, but troubled about harming the environment, right? You need to check Meant Green supper stylish and Eco-friendly fashion trending brands. You will find the change makers and more sustainable alternative fashion, anytime you shop. So, if you believe that what you wear says a lot about you, then you are advised to cast your eyes on the list of the most gorgeous fashion trends.

    Nicholas Taylor @ Vancouver Business Brokers

    ReplyDelete

Meant Green All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger