DIY: repainting a frame

posted on: Friday, January 30, 2015


Happy Friday! 

I wanted to share a spur-of-the-moment craft I did a few weeks ago to spruce up one of our framed artwork pieces. By framed artwork, I mean it is a reproduction piece I got for $40 at a secondhand shop, but it's of the beach at sunset - one of my favorite places in the world to be. 

It reminds me of Florida panhandle trips with my family, they were and still are some of my favorite memories!

So this particular art piece came with an odd tan, plastic frame that did nothing for the art inside - it made the whole thing dull. It also looked faded hanging over the white couch. I decided to do quick fix and spray paint the thing much darker to liven up its presence in the living room. 

I found that there was no way to remove the art from the frame since it's stapled in (quality work there) so I just used painters tape and newsprint to protect the inner gilded edge and print itself. I would NOT do this with anything more expensive!
Here's the painting over the couch BEFORE, pretty bland. not bringing any punch. 

Taping up the edges
Using a drop cloth will save the ground from the inevitable reach of spray paint

I used the edge of a ring box to scrape the edges for a less-flat, more distressed look on the frame
I used a dark walnut color, plus it was already on hand :)

AFTER! Lovely phone picture eh? I think I prefer the contrast to the tan, though it may be too dark now. Good thing I can always try something else :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meant Green All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger