Wear: and the Color of the Year is...

posted on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Color of the year: Marsala. 

A rusty rich red (and a wine!). I had no idea there was such a thing before this particular Creative Closet challenge. Here are a few examples I swept from a quick Pinterest research session that resonated with me.
all marsala images via pinterest
Who decides this anyway? For the past 15 years, the Pantone Color Institute has, and I've dropped in a little info straight from the Institute about how all this comes to be. 

1. Why Marsala:

"Marsala enriches our mind, body and soul, exuding confidence and stability. Marsala is a subtly seductive shade, one that draws us in
to its embracing warmth."

 - Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director, Pantone Color Institute

2. How they choose:

"The Color of the Year selection requires careful consideration and, to arrive at the selection, Pantone combs the world looking for color influences. This can include the fashion and entertainment industries – including films that are in production, the world of art, popular travel destinations and other socio-economic conditions. Influences may also stem from technology, the availability of new textures and effects that impact color, and even upcoming sports events that capture worldwide attention."

- Pantone press release

It actually sounds like a pretty interesting process (and what a cool place to work!!), going about choosing the color of the year. I love most that this is such an earthy red. It reminds me of the rustiness of blood, or red clay that's wet. It's very human, very alive.

My fashion task this week was to incorporate it into my Tuesday Creative Closet post. I went to Pinterest to do some quick visual research on this color, and here are a few examples that resonated with me the most:


I ended up going with a pair of marsala tights paired with blues. Complimentary colors anyone?


Tights - my own | Jacket - Old Navy sale | Shoes - Target | Skirt - Anthropologie sale |  
Earrings - Pittsburgh craft fair | Scarf - Gap sale

8 comments:

  1. You are so stunning! What a precious outfit too. I always wondered how they decided on the color of the year. Who knew it took so much thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maegan! It's pretty nifty to see all the steps and different avenues they take to decide. Hope you are feeling great with baby M so close!

      Delete
  2. I love the Marsala paired with navy! So gorgeous on you! And I love that you included how Pantone makes their decision about their color trends! I never knew that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jana, this project has got me so interested in how things just come to be in the fashion and style world - crazy right? Crazy cool ;)

      Delete
  3. I started hearing about the colour of the year last year, but I never knew how they came to a decision - so interesting! I feel like Marsala is such a great colour for fashion because it pairs so nicely with so many other colours without looking too overwhelming - this is a great example! That last photo of you is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super subtle but strong in a non-threatening way, just lovely. "Very human" as I had mentioned in the post about how it struck me. I love taking time to reflect on colors since they're all around us, one of the benefits of blogging, just taking time to think things through in general! Thanks for the complement too, it's a rather decent pic I agree! My hubby took it :D

      Delete
  4. That's so cool! Thanks for sharing the choice process - that's so cool! Annnnd now I think I need "marsala" colored Hunter boots. Swoon. You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! Who would have though color of the year was such a process?

      Delete

Meant Green All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger