Wear: polka dotted with project creative closet

posted on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Today's post is inspired by the Creative Closet challenge I'm participating in, hosted by the lovely women of The Modern Tulip and Life Could Be A Dream. As you might be able to discern, the topic was....polka dots! 


My own take on polka dots was finding something I could wear that was work appropriate, comfy but interesting. The skirt here was an anthropolgie sale item, the top is Old Navy and the tights are Target. Apologies for the brown shoes, but I have to wear flats to work since I stand all day!


While working on this project, it struck me that I had no idea how such a popular pattern came to be. So I did a tiny bit of research and wanted to share some findings from 'polka dot history' I found at this site
"A vintage 1880s Victorian polka dot jacket that was worn by a polka club member" -historyspaces.blogspot.com
Cool jacket huh? I could imagine this one for sale at Modcloth! Did you know the word 'polka' is a Bohemian word for a Polish woman? Most people realize it as a pattern, but it is also a dance that appeared in 1830 to 1890 - it's a fast, quick-stepping romp! I learned it with my ballroom dance class in college (for Phys Ed, lol), and it is FUN!
The dance was so popular for decades, that polka clubs popped up and a polka uniform was even created. Guess what that uniform's main design element was? You guessed it! POLKA DOTS!

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea that's how polka dots came about! So cool. Also, that skirt is killer! The floral with the polka dots is awesome. You look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Everything comes from something :) Thanks for the compliment - I think that's why I bought it actually, just being surprised by the cool flower + dot combo!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! Who knew!? Love that skirt, the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Love these outfit challenges, you always look so lovely :)

      Delete
  3. So cool you shared the history! It makes me think a little of Legally Blonde, when Elle writes a paper on the history of Polka Dots. :) hehe I love your skirt it is so pretty! Fusion patterns like that are some of my favorites. XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra! I know - I heard the same thing in my head when I was deciding whether or not to throw the history in, I'm so glad someone mentioned it! LOL!

      Delete
  4. You are SO stinkin cute! I love, love, love that you threw the history in there. I think that is why I love polka dots so much! So much history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KayKay! It's so interesting to see how things come to be that we get so used to everyday! Still chuckling over your Valentine's outfit - the best!

      Delete

Meant Green All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger